Hi there, and my main question.

4 participants

Hi there, and my main question. Empty Hi there, and my main question.

Message par gwaiidon_dw Dim 29 Mai - 3:23

Hi,
I'm a Canadian owner of a 1978 ty175 and ty250 of which I've had a fair amount of experience with repairing and riding. I mostly came here to get some info on registering my Ty175 for the road. I'm not sure if this bike was previously insurable as all the info I've read has been either vague or inconsistent. I also have the issue of having to deal with ICBC (British Columbia's only insurance company) which outlawed converting off road only vehicles to on road vehicles in 2006.  

So the main thing I've read it that these bikes were insurable in the UK and Australia in their base configurations but this is iffy information at best. I also know they made specific trims for the on road versions and that neither of mine are those trims with my Ty being the base 525 VIN model. Would it be worth pursuing this further or should I just look at getting a different bike?

Thanks for your help in advance.

gwaiidon_dw
ptit nouveau
ptit nouveau

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Hi there, and my main question. Empty Re: Hi there, and my main question.

Message par paul Dim 29 Mai - 6:06

Hello gwaiidon_dw,

I cannot comment on BC's specific rules and regulations regarding converting off road to on road vehicles. Each Canadian province has its peculiar ways of dealing with these types of requests. However, as a Quebec resident, I can confirm that ty175+250 were imported as off road bikes in QC and therefore CAN NOT be registered as on road vehicles. The only way around, is to get a Yamaha DT serie or Honda XL serie bike that were imported as "Dual Purpose" vehicles and could be registered in one of the two categories. Again, this is the rule of the land in QC, things might be different in BC. In France, as I recall, ty125s were imported and sold as on road bikes. This may possibly explain why the 175cc engine was not commercially fitted on these French models so as to comply with local legislation.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Paul
paul
paul
membre régulier
membre régulier

Message par gwaiidon_dw Dim 29 Mai - 6:48

paul a écrit:Hello gwaiidon_dw,

I cannot comment on BC's specific rules and regulations regarding converting off road to on road vehicles. Each Canadian province has its peculiar ways of dealing with these types of requests. However, as a Quebec resident, I can confirm that ty175+250 were imported as off road bikes in QC and therefore CAN NOT be registered as on road vehicles. The only way around, is to get a Yamaha DT serie or Honda XL serie bike that were imported as "Dual Purpose" vehicles and could be registered in one of the two categories. Again, this is the rule of the land in QC, things might be different in BC. In France, as I recall, ty125s were imported and sold as on road bikes. This may possibly explain why the 175cc engine was not commercially fitted on these French models so as to comply with local legislation.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Paul

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that's the case with mine aswell, it does have a cmvss(?) sticker though but it's too worn to see what it's classified as. Thank you for the input regardless I'm pretty sure I'm just looking down a dead end.

Dernière édition par gwaiidon_dw le Dim 29 Mai - 9:34, édité 1 fois

gwaiidon_dw
ptit nouveau
ptit nouveau

Message par lethau Dim 29 Mai - 8:08

Welcome in board Hi there, and my main question. 649390891

L'équipe du forum
L'équipe du forum

Message par pascal38 Dim 29 Mai - 8:26

Welcome Gwalidon

En France, si je me souviens bien, les ty125 étaient importées et vendues comme sur des vélos de route. Cela explique peut-être pourquoi le moteur 175 cm3 n'était pas monté

Paul , ce qui n'autorisait pas les moteur en 175cc était tout simplement une question de permis de conduire . Ceux ne possédant pas le permis moto ne pouvait conduire que des 125cc ; au dessus il fallait impérativement posséder le fameux sésame.
Cette législation étant différente en Belgique , Angleterre , Suisse etc.......
Pascal .
pascal38
pascal38
L'équipe du forum
L'équipe du forum